playMaker

Author Topic: UnityLearn 2dPlatformer Made with PlayMaker [coming soon] [online preview]  (Read 6647 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hi Everyone,

So much pending work is lurking round the corner with the next version of PlayMaker, that I can't wait to start sharing some with you, because I know a lot of question will find answers with this work.

I have ported the UnityLearn 2dPlatformer to PlayMaker, 100%. Right now, since it uses the beta version of PlayMaker, only beta members can toy around with the project itself.

BUT, since I wanted to do a benchmark between the scripted and the PlayMaker version, I released the webPlayer versions so that you can play both versions. I also documented the details for a good overview.

Once PlayMaker 1.8 will be out, we'll start using this project for documentation , tutorials, video series as well as pointing to different aspects of PlayMaker design patterns in the various questions you'll ask.

You can play the PlayMaker version here
You can play the Original Version here

The very positive results are very encouraging! With careful development, perfs are totally in par, and this PlayMaker version even improve on the original project on several very important levels ( no memory leaks, use the new UI, easier logic implementation, better management of the hierarchy at runtime, better debugging, etc, etc).

Bye,

Jean

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
Playmaker version starts up much faster.

How is this done with the build size and mem being pretty much the same?

Anyways awesome job. Only complaint (and this is due to the original version) is that on my end the players movement are really choppy. Interesting that the final version they submitted has that.
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Hi,

I have no idea myself, I was really surprised by the result and almost exact same perfs, hence why I went all out and test on all platforms and the result where consistent.

This project is going to be a great platform to verify on all this.

It runs very smooth on my machine, maybe it's some perf issue on your computer?

Bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Very cool, Jean! =)
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Rabagast

• Homepage
The Playmaker version is faster than the original. And when I shoot in the original version, the player will not turn. But in the playmaker version everything works great.

Even if I solved 2D shooting left and right, I'm very curious to see how you did this. :)
Check out our homepage. http://www.walsberg.no
Or my personal game blog for news about my games. http://retro-tetro.walsberg.no

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Hi,

yeah :). I'ts incredible that even the final build size is smaller. I am really lost at how that actually can be. I am planning on doing some careful testing to really see what's wrong ( it feels wrong anyway... that adding PlayMaker in the mix makes the final build size smaller... maybe Unity doesn't properly ignore unused assets or something).

Can't wait for 1.8 to be out. This project was created as a source for explaining lots of typical questions we find in the forum, as well as showing how well a proper finished game perform with PlayMaker, all open source, with all custom actions available.

Bye,

Jean

musclynerd

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi Jean,

How do I download this so I can test it and look at the documentation as it will help me learn playmaker.

Thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Hi,

Good point :)

You can either use github itself, and clone this ( together with the submodules), but this is only if you are confortable with github, sourcetree and cloning/submodules.

else, the easy solution is to download the test.unitypackage at the root of the github project.

Let me know how it goes.

Bye,

Jean