playMaker

Author Topic: Can we have a very basic step by step tutorial on how to use Photon?  (Read 2693 times)

ETGgames

• Junior Playmaker
    • ETGgames
Playmaker is very well documented, but photon is not part of that. The documentation Jean provides is complex and not suitable for beginners like me. Is there, or can someone make a tutorial on how to make an online game from scratch, just a simple game that syncs player movement. Thanks

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Can we have a very basic step by step tutorial on how to use Photon?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
Hi,
you should ask in the Tutorial section inside the Official Tutorial Request Thread.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:34:10 AM »
Hi,

The sample is meant to be the most simple photon example, so if you have trouble understanding it, please ask precise questions on what exactly you don't get, cause it just does that, synchronize movement and animation, ou can ignore the chat system, but that example is the bear minimum you'll need to understand and master fully before taking anything more complex using Photon.

So keep at it and go over it again and again until you understand it all, maybe I need to rephrase some explanations, etc etc. Simply ask.

Bye,

Jean

ETGgames

• Junior Playmaker
    • ETGgames
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:31:36 AM »
OK, thanks. Basically I don't really know where to start with the demo. Im not really sure the order in which the photon behaviours are called. Whats the very first thing that happens? Thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »
Hi,

The first thing is connecting to the server, once connection is established, it connects to the lobby, once connected to the lobby, you are presented with possible rooms to joins, then you join, and finally you are in a room, that's when you see the player.

It's important in all cases, to read all the exitgames doc in the first place, to understand the system as a whole, even if they give code as examples, it's important to learn the various concepts.

It's also very important you read the wiki doc:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W927

read everything, several times... and also in that page, I have organized fsm, in order of importance, and so I suggest you study them in that order, the first most important being the [urlhttps://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W864]connection[/url]

It's a lot to read, yes, but it's necessary :)

Bye,

Jean

ETGgames

• Junior Playmaker
    • ETGgames
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
Thankyou! Solved!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Playmaker is very well documented, but photon is not part of that. The documentation Jean provides is complex and not suitable for beginners like me. Is there, or can someone make a tutorial on how to make an online game from scratch, just a simple game that syncs player movement. Thanks