playMaker

Author Topic: I know v1.8 will support Arrays and Hashtables - but will Playmaker ever  (Read 3111 times)

Duffer

• Playmaker Newbie
support Lists and Dictionaries?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: I know v1.8 will support Arrays and Hashtables - but will Playmaker ever
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:04:25 AM »
Hi,

v1.8 is PlayMaker, and it will support only arrays. For hashtables you'll need to rely on other solutions, either custom or like ArrayMaker.

Bye,

Jean

Duffer

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:06:17 AM »
@ jeanfabre,

Thanks for the rapid response!

Noted re hashtables?

Any chance in later development for Lists and/or Dictionaries?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »
Hi,

What would you see as improvments in using lists and dictionnaries as opposed to arrays and hashtables?

It's been covered few times here. There is no gain in perfs nor penalty in using arrays and hashtables vs other types of c# collections. It's only percetible if you start having hundres or thousands items, which then really means developing a dedicated custom solution for such a large amount of data. Meanwhile, I made tests with 40K+ lines of text all parsed into single array items and access is instant.

As for using dictionnaries and lists technically, the problem is casting, and you'll fallback in casting to object always... which then loose the benefits over arrays and hashtables.

Bye,

Jean

Duffer

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
@ jeanfabre,

I think I understand.  Useful to know about your test and trial of parsing a large text document.

I was thinking of use of Lists to support item and stat lists and inventories etc in an RPG, but I do think now I see your point.