playMaker

Author Topic: Mutiplayer game with Playmaker?  (Read 3667 times)

FunD

• Playmaker Newbie
Mutiplayer game with Playmaker?
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »
Hi,
I'm an art student and I have to make a game for a school project. My programming skills are VERY limited and I got very little time to make this game.

I need to make a local multiplayer game, playable with controllers. I actually searched for online tutorials for more than an hour yesterday, to help me with the code for such a project, but I found pretty much nothing on the subject.
There are tons of tutorials for online games for some reason.. but pretty much nothing for local multiplayer.

I've been wanting to get Playmaker for a while anyway, so my question is: is it possible to make a multiplayer game with Playmaker without having to code?

verybinary

• Junior Playmaker
    • The Museum of Digital
Re: Mutiplayer game with Playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
first off, why is your teacher making you create a full game when you haven't been taught to make a game yet? Are you sure that you aren't supposed to just make the art. if you're supposed to make a full game, its either
a: not in unity, maybe an easier engine
b: not going to have much expectation considering you haven't been taught anything.
second, playmaker ships with photon networking, but this isn't made for local multiplayer, but it can be if everyone local connects to it...

and third, its july. if you're even in school, its the very beginning or very end of the year.
if its the beginning, you have plenty of time.
if its the end, you're pretty screwed, you can put something together pretty quickly with gamemaker.
(but maybe the whole "student" part of this was just supposed to be justification for not learning anything, and diving straight into a finished product...)

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
Hi.
@verybinary
In many "Game Art" Schools they are doing this, as it is good for an artist to have a little knowledge on how this works.

Also Start and ending of schools are different in certain countries like for example in the Phillipines(June) and Singapore (January)

@FunD
in short Yes!

About anything that can be done in unity, can be done in playmaker.
But there is still a learning curve, so it will still take time to learn playmaker.
But a lot less time than learning to code with c#

With local multiplayer game, do you mean on a single device)
or on multiple devices using Lan?

GonerGames

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »
@FunD

Here is a nice guide for basic multiplayer from unity https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/multiplayer-networking/introduction-simple-multiplayer-example
It shows 5.3, but is current for 2018.

Also Playmaker works great for multiplayer as well.

FunD

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 05:36:15 AM »
@djaydino
Yes, it would be a multiplayer game on a single device :)
Have you heard of any tutorials for local multiplayers on a single device, done with playmaker, by any chance? Any documentation/tutorials would help me on this journey. Thank you.

@GonerGames
Many thanks for the link. I really appreciate it. I will look into it today :)

@verybinary
Yes, I study Game Design at an Art School. But programming is where I still struggle. I do well in all other aspects of Game Dev.

And yes, I'm sure I'm not supposed to just make the art. Otherwise I'd just go ahead and make the art and I wouldn't be on this forum right now inquiring information about playmaker.

My school often asks us to make games in very little time (alone or in groups of two), and yes, often it's up to us to find good tutorials and teach ourselves in our free time. I am on this forum to ask for advice, since I know we have a multiplayer game assignment coming up and I heard of Playmaker via other Game Design students.

I know my way around Unity now, after following a few tutorials. But I have never used playmaker. I am slowly learning programming but like I said, still struggling.

So Assets (like playmaker) and good tutorials can be really useful for newbie students like us. That's why I wanted to get some advice on doing a local multiplayer and also considering learning playmaker over the summer. Especially if it can help me with my multiplayer assignment, that's coming up.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
@djaydino
Yes, it would be a multiplayer game on a single device :)
Have you heard of any tutorials for local multiplayers on a single device, done with playmaker, by any chance? Any documentation/tutorials would help me on this journey. Thank you.

Ah, looks like it's a split screen game then? Do you connect several controllers to a single device?
You'll need two cameras, one for each player.