playMaker

Author Topic: Game Creator Integration  (Read 479 times)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
    • View Profile
Game Creator Integration
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:38:27 PM »
Hi, I have created a few playmaker actions to integrate with game creator. Game creator has its own 'action / trigger' system, vars, etc. However, I am primarily using it for its nice 3d person character controller. Has a decent camera, input, animation controller etc that is not overly complicated to use.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/game-creator-89443

Anyways, you can get my playmaker actions here. They are a work in progress: https://github.com/dumbgamedev/gamecreator

I am primarily using for NPCs. So playmaker actions like, follow, move to, stop, do game creator actions, etc.

cel

• Junior Playmaker
    • View Profile
Re: Game Creator Integration
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 05:37:53 AM »
brilliant...

just a few suggestion for future actions if I may:

send a playmaker variable to game creator
get a gamecreator variable
access the gamemaker player properties (can jump, speed, can run, is controllable...)
get game creator trigger/ conditions

tcmeric

• Beta Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:44:10 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Making an PM action to send and get game variables is on the list. I ran into a few small problems. Unfortunately, the creator of Game Creator is away for another 2 weeks or so. His yearly vacation. Once he is back, hopefully, we can get that sorted.

Get game creator trigger? Do you have a specific suggestion for this one?

Here is my idea. If we want a game creator trigger to send an event to playmaker, I think maybe we can make a game creator action that sends an event to playmaker by name. For game creator, the trigger (as far as I can tell), can only trigger a game creator action. Therefore we need to take that extra step. 

Game Creator Trigger -> Game Creator Action --> Playmaker Event.

Maybe there is a way can make a PM action to subscribe (listen) to for a specific game creator event (I can investigate), but that PM action would need to be active. (The PM action would need to be in a PM state and that state on). So the downside would be, once playmaker got the trigger, it couldnt fire again (unless it came back to that PM state is started listening again).

cel

• Junior Playmaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:37:19 AM »
Hi tcmeric,

Any more progress on this?... looking forward for some more actions, especially access the gamemaker player properties (can jump, speed, can run, is controllable...)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »
Hi, not much more. I was hoping to make some variable actions, but by the time the owner go back, my window to work on it has closed. Unfortunately, I am pretty busy with another project for a little bit.

However, I did take a few moments to make those actions for you.

I added them to the github page: https://github.com/dumbgamedev/gamecreator

cel

• Junior Playmaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
You-re a star, I really appreciate it, Thank you so much Tmeric ;D ;D ;D

Broken Stylus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 03:30:11 AM »
Is Game Creator a good addition to Playmaker or does it replace it?
Is it faster for prototyping very simple ideas? To me it seems to do that but I'm not sure how far it can go.

cel

• Junior Playmaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 05:01:46 AM »
I only use game creator because of how easy it is to add animations to a character and it's camera motors. Basically I create actions in Game creator that animate the character (walk, crouch, jump, pick up ...) and then I call them from playmaker, personally I find it it still has some ways to go, and it doesn't replace playmaker for me, but hell, its easy to add states and animation clips to your characters... just my 2 cents

tcmeric

• Beta Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 06:43:05 AM »
I agree. I am using for NPC character controllers. The animation and controller system is pretty straight forward to use. For me, the visual scripting solution it comes with is not a replacement for playmaker. Although it does have a few neat tricks.

cel

• Junior Playmaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 01:01:04 AM »
Hi tcmeric,

Any news on the variables actions by any chance?