playMaker

Author Topic: Before I buy Question  (Read 1349 times)

bnd10706

• Playmaker Newbie
Before I buy Question
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
I am looking for an easy way to do this, since I cant figure it out, as I am new to Unity and C#.

I am building a game in unity with 2d and 2d animations.

Can playmaker handle 2d animations and change them for an NPC?

I have an AI built that a NPC is randomly walking around. But the animations do not actually work, its just a sprite.

I cant figure out how to reference the movement change, and I was hoping this is something that Playmaker could do.

SO if the AI tells the NPC to move up, it shows the walking up animation.

Since this is random, I cant figure it out. Normally with player controller its easy because your pushing the button and can call it on the button push.

Thore

Re: Before I buy Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
Hi,

To do this, you need to use Mechanim, in Unity: Window > Animation > Animator. For this, I recommend watching tutorials on YouTube that walk you through the process. For NPCs it's in principle the same process, only that the values come from the AI script rather than through player input.

See for example Brackeys...

bnd10706

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:22 AM »
yes, I have the animations set up, I have it working for my player, its just just figuring out how to trigger the movement.

Thank you! I am glad I did not spend the money on PLayermaker yet!

daniellogin

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »
You can do literally everything with Play Maker. It's very logical and easy to learn.

You can easily get an object position, give it a frame pause, then get the position again and compare the two variables to do or not do something as a result. This means you can trigger something on and off (like specific animations) based on if you are moving or not, or how fast you are moving, or a specific direction, etc. This means it doesn't even matter if you can talk to the AI to know when it wants to move, you can just literally read the movement and act accordingly.

You are missing out if you don't get Play Maker. The stuff you described is done with a yawn when you learn the basics.

heavygunner

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Who cares !

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 01:12:32 AM »
Who cares !

Hi,

It's ok heavygunner, let's keep this forum friendly and open. Sometimes people are genuinely on a budget, so it's ok that you always make sure you spend your money right.

Bye,

Jean

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 04:25:34 AM »
How do newcomers always get the same avatars? Did I miss an option? Can I add Tom Cruiser?