playMaker

Author Topic: Resquesting Integration With Mirror Networking  (Read 3772 times)

caonhanphp@gmail.com

• Playmaker Newbie
Resquesting Integration With Mirror Networking
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:08:45 PM »
Only 1 Network, Photon, is supported. 
Mirror is an alternative for people who doesn't use Photon.

Please add this feature.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Resquesting Integration With Mirror Networking
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 02:36:11 AM »
Hi,

Photon is being integrated because PlayMaker and Hutong games teamed up to provide this integration, it's a very demanding integration, ( Pun 2 in progress...).

Unfortunatly, we don't have enough resources to support other solutions, especially when Photon is clearly the best solution out there.

Photon is the overall best solution because of it's cloud, nothing else comes even close to the distribution handling of your network app across the world... the price policy is also very fair and you only get charged when your game is making proper traffic, which means you have the possibility to monetize it to justify the hosting cost.

Mirror is likely very good, but how are you going to distribute your game across the world? trying to host it yourself with amazon/google is literally suicidal, both economically and health wise. Unity is failing to provide its solution for the third time in a row, so we are left with photon or custom hosting.

If you have arguments for adopting Mirror, I am all ears, if it make sense and provide a strong alternative to Pun, we'll consider it.

Bye,

Jean

PaulH

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 06:47:21 AM »
Hi Jean

Digging up an old thread here because i also need to use Mirror Multiplayer/networking. i want to build a battle royale game (similar to Fortnite, PUBG, COD warzone etc) where you have 100-150 players in one 'room'. and as im sure you are aware this is impossible using Photon pun (unless you can convince me otherwise?).

And as unity multiplayer is none existent at the moment, mirror is the only credible option. I only use playmaker to build my games so i'm kind of stuck without it.

as for hosting it yourself, that doesn't seem to be a problem for many other mirror users.

any help would be most appreciated.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:53:15 AM by PaulH »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
Hi,

uhm. that's going to be tricky. Indeed Photon is not suitable for this, you can get around 8-10, maximum 20 if you have great experienced developers in one room with photon, above that, it's not really possible.

however, if you the world is big and your average number of players that interact together is low, around 10, you can still use photon, and network culling, which allows you to be in the same room, but based on physical distance or other parameters of choices, you can cull players to prevent all of them sending their properties to everyone in the room, it gets compartmentalized

https://forum.photonengine.com/discussion/11476/scene-objects-and-network-culling.

As for mirror, unfortunatly, I am not aware of any playmaker port for this... and there is no plan to support it, it's already very demanding to support Photon already.

Bye,

Jean