playMaker

Author Topic: Folder Structure / Clean Up :D  (Read 1790 times)

Thore

Folder Structure / Clean Up :D
« on: June 06, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
Over time, there are a lot of extra assets that clutter up the asset folder. They can be usually moved to some other folder, say, "Third Party". Unfortunately, that's not possible with PlayMaker itself and the net.fabrejean folder that is required for Ecosystem. Could this be changed somehow?

Edit: It can be moved.* (important! Don't move in the OS/Explorer/Finder etc, but in Unity). I found out that after moving there were compiler errors, so I put everything back, and the errors persisted. But restarting fixed those. So I figured that maybe moving stuff and restarting might actually also work. That seems to be the case (yay!).

In addition, Playmaker quickly proliferates in various sub-folders (e.g. plugins). Each package, e.g. PlayMaker Utils, PlayMaker Cinemachine, will also dump themselves into the Asset folder, even though there are various PlayMaker folders already.

Most folders can be moved, , but that's not really apparent for beginners.

On a related note, the sorting in the menu in PlayMaker could also need a pass. There are "Tools" and "Addons" and Addons itself has a Tools section. It's always a bit unclear where exactly the Ecosystem was again :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:46:48 PM by Thore »

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: Folder Structure / Clean Up :D
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 06:44:43 AM »
After moving stuff in the OS, you might do a refresh or reimport in Unity to rebuild the .meta files. In many cases this is what causes problems, but then doing the displacement within Unity is safer.

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 04:53:25 AM »
It works fine moving the folders (except 'net.fabrejean' I think), but every time you get a new action from the ecosystem it created a folder in the root. It would be nice if you could set a default location for this.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 02:13:59 AM »
Hi,

unfortunatly, that's the only way I can guarantee a simple process across multiple unity versions and multiple projects.

Usually, I recommend you never move assets from packages you got from the asset store, instead, organize your project files, in a specific folder. I use always "App" for example, and all my specific unique assets for that projects, goes there. this way I don't claim ownership of the whole Assets folder, but only for the Assets/App folder,

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
Hi.
Yes i do the same thing, i use "_Project" as main folder, then subfolders for all the things i use withing the project.

Sometime i have several large sound packs for example and i just use a few from each pack.
When using then i move them into my project folder so that later i can simply remove the rest without search for each sound i used.

Same goes for textures / particle systems etc.