playMaker

Author Topic: Conveyor Belt Track system  (Read 3184 times)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Conveyor Belt Track system
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on how to build a conveyor belt type simulation system using PM?

I have a few ideas but have not put any of them in motion yet. I am currently busy finishing up some 3DS Max stuff first. But this will be pressing when i am done. So thought i would throw out the question now.

So the question is: if you picture an automation type scenario with instrument type stop locations and small pieces of conveyor type track in between and decision making gates.. And parts have to move around on it and queue up if things get backed up etc..

I have been out of Unity for a few months so am having a bit of a struggle figuring out how to set up track sections with decision logic on them and how to trigger that logic with my objects moving around.

Maybe the toughest job will be the queuing of the objects on the track..

Anyway if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Conveyor Belt Track system
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:14:16 AM »
Hi,

Are you looking for a full physics simulation or some simple way to go about it?

bye,

Jean

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Conveyor Belt Track system
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
Well i would say a simple way of doing it really.. I dont want to involve physics unless it is necessary.. objects on conveyors will just be single file but they do need to bunch up at the end if needed...

I started working with a bit of code yesterday.. not quite to the point of hitting play yet.

I was hoping to use paths but at the moment i am using destination Start and Stop object in pairs. My traveling object checks to see if the Start object is empty via a bool and if it is then it goes there. It also reads the Stop object so that it knows where it is traveling too and also the next Destination Start object so that when it finally finishes traveling to the Stop location it knows which object to check for Empty..

That was my basic logic idea so far... but it does not take care of any type of collision checking though....