playMaker

Author Topic: Asset Store Tutorial pack...?  (Read 4633 times)

Red

Asset Store Tutorial pack...?
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
So, It's to the point where i'm a little bit in need of a bit more income than i currently have access to (being up-front and blunt about it) and since i've been reading that the asset store will allow uploads of things like templates and prefabs that use playmaker primarily, it got me to thinking.

So, i'm going to ask you if you think this is fair, a "dick-move" or a neutral thing.

What i'm thinking is to package all the prefabs and templates with text files on how to hook them up and some scenes outlining some of the basic mechanisms of all the tutorials i've done on YouTube and sell them for $5-10. (i've been given some feedback that that is a fair price-range for what you'd be getting.)

what you'd get is a collection of templates with all the FSMs made with the tutorials, all the prefabs that are made using them, files on how to set them up properly as well as a couple extras... and I'd make sure to update them with the templates and other files when new tutorials are made so that all you have to do is click "update" to get them.

Some of the extras could be templates and prefabs that i'm using in my game right now... so, things like a weapon management system, a skill system, the player management system...

So, do you think this is fair? of course it would require you to already have playmaker and have it installed first so as to preserve all the necessary stuffs and i'm not sure if i would have to include the scripts or not (i would hope not though since that could be a tricky thing given the staff at Hutong have put a lot of effort, time and sweat into the scripts and of course the DLL files wouldn't be included.)

think of it more like a "tuition fee" kinda thing.

So, what say you, node-pushers? do you think this is a fair idea?

reason i'm doing this is that the game is coming up that i'm going to need some funds to cover things like website costs and if i can, other plug-ins that i can use to make the game i'm making as awesome as i can possibly make it.

Please let me know in the comments if you think this is a worthwhile idea or if you think this is more on the "dick-move" side of things. I am being up-front in that i do have some costs that i'm going to have to cover which my current financial situation just isnt' allowing at this moment in time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:42:27 PM by Red »

Red

Re: Asset Store Tutorial pack...?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
And before you ask, i would not be requiring that anyone that wishes to follow along with my tutorials has to pay for the things... but, it would mean that if you do not want to follow along and want to just get to the good stuff, you can.

(and of course it would be used as a means to advertise Playmaker ;) )

brendang

• Junior Playmaker
    • Out to Play Interactive
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
Totally not a dick move.  Don't be silly.  Folks would be lucky/glad to get some addition resource material, and help out a valued community member.

Go for it, Red...and good luck!

B.

gamedivision

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 04:44:04 AM »
Well you have a sale here for sure.depending on your subject.

Sjones

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
sounds good if its clear and to the point, there are a lot of questions on the forums here, 1/4 of wich are covered by the hutong tutorial vids, some really simple questions that something like this asset would answer simply and quickly.

and then on to the complex stuff, the stuff you mentioned sounds great! just make sure there are baby steps too so those who are new can then follow these.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:56:56 AM »
Go for it Red!

Red

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
Okay, So, this is going to become a thing... I've spend the past week diverging from my current project collecting and refining the systems so that it's useable (and i'm taking full advantage of the commenting so as to make it explicitly clear what each system does.)

So far, here's a list of assets i'm going to be including (as well as hints as to tutorial series i'm hoping to do in the future)

- Basic AI*
- Third-person Camera controllers*
- Player Management system**
- Pooling Systems** (Bonus material)
- Targeting systems (Bonus material)
- Weapons and Abilities (Bonus material)

* These are tutorials which i feel need some more added to them... the curse of being a perfectionist is that there are things which i want to add to them to increase their robustness as well as added functionality.

** Planning for a future tutorial for these.

So, i've settled on a price of $10 since there are a lot of things here that have a very large amount of work added to them... there is one thing to note, however... (Edit: Scratch that... a test i did means i have a lot more work to do to make all the assets multiplayer friendly... so, for now this will be a "single player" system... in time, however, i hope to address that.)

If this turns out well enough, i'll be able to afford to get more packages from the asset store and hopefully help add to the income since right now i'm between contracts and things are tight... so, a little extra scratch could certainly help and as much as i don't want to set the expectation of more tutorials than i have planned (it is tempting, but i dont' want to overload myself because I also have ADD and anxiety so some days it's harder for me to get things done than normal) If you have an idea for a tutorial series you'd like to see me do (or a package that you'd like to see me offer) let me know.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:37:59 PM by Red »

kiriri

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
One thing you should make very clear when you commit your package to the assetstore: It is primarily an Assetset not a tutorial. Very important  ;)
The guys at the assetstore are very strict believers in ... let me quote this :

We would not sell learning to our users

Commented assets are fine though.
Hope that will help you. Unless you have tutorial in your name or description, everything should be fine I think :D
Best,
Sven

Red

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
One thing you should make very clear when you commit your package to the assetstore: It is primarily an Assetset not a tutorial. Very important  ;)
The guys at the assetstore are very strict believers in ... let me quote this :

We would not sell learning to our users

Commented assets are fine though.
Hope that will help you. Unless you have tutorial in your name or description, everything should be fine I think :D

Oh yeah... I was already in contact with them and they were made aware that it's not a tutorial or a teaching aid, it's a package of assets (because in the end that is what they are essentially.)

I'm hopefully going to be able to submit it to the asset store within the next few days. I want to make sure i am able to iron out the details of the AI and some of the camera systems in place. Also, a couple levels set up with them so that the user can play around with them before using them in their own project. And lastly, a whole smattering of TXT files outlining how to use them.

If i can get a decent number of sales, all that money is essentially going to be put back into the asset store for now since there are some packages there that i do want to get... mostly things like NGui... also, to be able to contract out some more work since i've found a collaborator that's willing to help me and he isn't asking for ungodly amounts of money for the systems he's willing to help me with.