playMaker

Author Topic: Is the Serializer Broken  (Read 2709 times)

FractalCore

• 1.2 Beta
Is the Serializer Broken
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:55 AM »
The Unity Serializer by whydoidoit. Does it currently FULLY work with Playmaker.

I got the Playmaker specific action scripts out of the PlayMakerAddOn_v0.5 package. Tried the demo scene. Everything works. Got it all figured out with my own save button and everything.

But then I tried something more advanced, it partially screws up. A lot of places where I had a variable stored and was using it in an action, I can see while it's running after loading... the variable is set to none. Which breaks things.

eg. I'm using a wait action in two places in one FSM. One is set to 0.5 the other is set to a float I created so I can change it later. The 0.5 wait action loads fine, the wait action set to a float loads back again as none, losing the connection to the float I created.

It seems like this is important, unique to Playmaker, type stuff that maybe the Serializer isn't handling. Maybe? Has anyone had issues with it and Playmaker variables?

tankun

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Is the Serializer Broken
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
Same thing's happening to me. Not just the variables are messed up but also camera image effects as well (eg. vignette, color correction). The effects are turned off on LoadGame since image effects shaders are not loaded. I've added "save materials" option to the camera but no avail.

Does serializer also work with array maker? Has anyone tried it yet?

T

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »
Hi,

ArrayMaker doesn't support serialization other than what Unity provides, so you can't save and load arraMaker content within your games right now. But I'll definitly look into this for the next release.

bye,

JEan

tankun

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »
I'm seriously in a bind trying to find a solution for saving and loading hashtables.

Easy Save 2 can save & load them but I couldn't find a way to connect Arraymaker's hashtable system and Easy Save.

Let me tell you with an example.

I created a game object named "Game State OManager" and created a hashtable proxy script to it. The reference for the hash table is : "Game_State". I have all the values in there which are well, game state variables.

Here's Easy Save's script for saving hash tables:

Code: [Select]
ES2.Save(myHashtable, "myFile.txt?tag=myHashtable");

I can turn this into a function and call it from an FSM using "Send Message" but I don't know how to name the hashtable.  What would be the syntax here? Or is it even possible to do this in the first place? (since arraymaker uses a proxy system)

I hope you can help out with this issue otherwise I'm totally stuck here. I think trying to create a game with millions of game state variables is not wise and arraymaker comes to the rescue. It would be a shame if there's no way to save arrays/hash tables somehow.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
Hi,

Yes, It's totally feasible, don't worry about that :) it's only that I need to find the time and allocate it to do this.

I need to learn how easySave works as well, I am not sure I will use easy save, I might simply provide a built function within ArrayMaker, but I am not sure about this just yet.

If you need this urgently, pm me to arrange something, but right now my spare time is completly packed with pending stuff...

bye,

Jean

tankun

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
That's comforting to know :) I'll message you later on.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:22:39 AM by tankun »