playMaker

Author Topic: anyone wants to make a game with me ? :D  (Read 9155 times)

kiriri

Re: anyone wants to make a game with me ? :D
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
@jay.pis
the idea sounds nice, but have you created a prototype of the most basic actions yet to see how long it would take and how high the fun factor would be? we need a base to decide on the final concept and PoC are the best approach to this I think.

To be honest, I see the same problem I saw in my concept in yours too: level of complexity. From what I can see your game would not only need a lot of different assets and FSMs, but also a great amount of fine tuning to make it fun to play.
Therefore I'm still leaning towards the pencil rubber idea, just because it sounds so incredibly simple :D If it fails to shine then we can think about a more solid and proven approach, like one of our concepts which are aligned to projects that have been successful already in other games.
Does that sound alright to you? Would you still like to work with us?

@Flying Robot
As for structure, I had initially thought of setting up a git repo. But the more I think about it the more I think we should split the project into parts and work on them separately. Then we could submit and merge them into a single project every week or so. This way there's no fear of corruption and it would reflect a work environment better. Because afterall you'll usually be asked to deliver working independent modular products that could be used in more than just one game environment.

So one of us could work on the pencil eraser controllers, one could work on the gui and menu stuff, and one could work on the astar creeps. From experience this modular setup usually raises the overall quality of the final product too.

What do you think?
Best,
Sven

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
Sounds like a nice idea, but I was expecting a shared workspace or something. Anyway, let's try working separately. Obviously you are going to handle the Astar. I'm going to take care of GUi and Menu. I have NGUI. So, I can work with it or with GUILayout. Regarding the mechanics of the pencil and rubber, why don't we both work at that? Let's put what ideas we have with that and come up with multiple options of controlling the characters, that way it'll be easier to compare and decide.

Lets do this brainstorming first, we both work at the controls and drawing/erasing of the marks and come up with options. Probably within the next week. Then you can take care of Astar and I'll take care of the Gui.

After seeing the results of this session we can decide the outcome. I don't think we need a GDD now. That we can decide after settling down at a prototype and be convinced that this is going to work.

What do you say?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:14:28 AM by Flying Robot »

kiriri

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
yeah, about the shared workspace, working entirely separate would be annoying I think :D I'll have a look at some solutions I used in the past, but perhaps a google group may do for now. Right now I'm away from home so I can't do much, but on monday I'll check out some solutions.
I would however really like a small gdd, don't get me wrong, I'm not at all a strict and orderly kind of guy, but it helps me personally to find and focus on critical areas as well as thinking of new ideas or better concepts.
You taking care of the gui would be awesome. I still need to write my own gui plugin and without it , creating proper GUIs which also conform to different resolutions/aspects etc is very very tedious.

So let's continue this on tuesday, then I'll be able to commit myself more to this. Do you have skype? I like chatting better than mailing :)
Best,
Sven

jay.pis

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
Hey guys I'm still down if you need an artist as I've just started using playmaker and I'm not much of a scripter.  ;)

I think using google for group collaborations would be good as I use it myself also Trello is awesome if you guys haven't used that yet, check it out at Trello.com

Cheers!

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »
@kiriri

My skype id is satyajit2000. Let's catchup there. Let's get a GDD going.

@jay.pis

We can surely use an artist. I'm sure Kiriri would agree. Can you post your style of art?

kiriri

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
yeah, artists can make or break a game :)
Trello is a nice app I think, I'm checking it out right now. So far I've only used solutions likre Trek etc. (Don't get me wrong, they are awesome if used properly, but they are a bit overcomplicated at times.)
Especially with the modular "per task" workflow I had in mind this would be very useful.

Anyways, if you have skype, please add me too (sven.hollesen) so we can discuss the project in a bit more detail :)
Best,
Sven