playMaker

Author Topic: Picking strings from different lists? Should I use Arrays?  (Read 3274 times)

4ppleseed

Picking strings from different lists? Should I use Arrays?
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
Hi all,
lets say I have 4 groups and in each group there are 10 words. How do I randomly pick 1 word from each group?

If I go on to use 4 groups each with 100 words - should I be using something like ArrayMaker or is there 'List' support in Playmaker?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Picking strings from different lists? Should I use Arrays?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
Hi,

ArrayMaker is the way to go :)

bye,

Jean

uberwolfe

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:49:35 AM »
I see so many of these threads I wonder why Jean's awesome ArrayMaker isn't already distributed with Playmaker by default....  ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:51:58 AM by uberwolfe »

4ppleseed

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
Thanks  8)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »
Hi,

Because it would be too much, PlayMaker must stay lightweight so that it can stay accessible for all types of projects, and then as you go more into details, you start putting more stuff into it. It's like the Unity Asset store, some of the stufss I use ALWAYS and in ALL my projects... but they still should not be part of Unity build.

one day, I will create a proper service that will allow you to download and cahe playmaker custom actions and addons within the Unity editor without having to quit the editor. one day...

bye,

Jean

uberwolfe

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 05:53:03 AM »
I 100% agree with what you're saying on keeping PlayMaker lightweight. But things like arrays are a fundamental part of just about any application be it a game or otherwise - so some kind of support out of the box can only make PlayMaker more robust and more accessible!!

And now you have me thinking.. a PlayMaker-specific Asset Store would be an awesome thing indeed..  :o

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:31:41 AM »
Hi,

it would be a lot more than an asset store, it would be completly integrated in your workflow.

you search an action on the playmaker action browser, and it would list as well what it found on the actions server, that is not yet in your assets, then you could download it instantly and have it in your state straight away! it would require a custom action browser of course, but nothing impossible here.

no more searching on forums, it's all there where you want/expect it.

bye,

Jean

4ppleseed

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
That sounds awesome Jean. I would happily pay (again) for 'Playmaker 2' if that was one of its new core features.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Hi,

Yeah, me too!! :)  It holds tremendous potential to bind our great community even more, and incite people sharing back ther own work. A lot can be done on that front, to build a very rich ecosystem when you can vote up good actions, keep track of action progress and updates, make requests and get things done in a greater scope. I would think that this kind of ecosystem should be a yearly subscription or something, otherwise it will be difficult to justify the cost of the server side maintenance and day o day operations.

Bye,

Jean