playMaker

Author Topic: [Request]Classic Platforming game camera ?  (Read 5252 times)

TheDaleatron

• Playmaker Newbie
[Request]Classic Platforming game camera ?
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »
Hello

So i am working a simple platforming project, and i would like my camera's to be locked in position and switch when you leave the screen, The same as in games like another world, odd world and flashback.  example

Now i bought play maker a while ago and havent actually used it yet, Does anyone have a tutorial for this or would fancy making one, anything at all to help really? thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: [Request]Classic Platforming game camera ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:25:24 AM »
Hi,

FlashBack is for me the best game I ever played when I was a teenager!

What exactly do you mean? I am not sure I follow, maybe you can point the exact time in that video that shows this camera work you mean?

Bye,

Jean

TheDaleatron

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 07:05:23 AM »
Hay thanks for the reply,

What i mean is when you leave the screen and enter a new screen like at 9 seconds in on the video.

Redhawk

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
Hey, to me this looks like the Camera is actually in a fixed position where each "Screen" is actually a new "Scene." 

Here's what you should try to see if the affect is what you are after:
  • Create a new Scene
  • Set up some basic elements in a scene
  • Set up your Camera so that it envelopes all the important elements of your scene AND the camera does not move at all
  • I would create a trigger on the far right and left
  • Triggers would load either the new scene or the previous scene (Use Playmaker for this)
  • Each scene will have the exact same Camera setup.  Make sure the distance to the player is the same

TheDaleatron

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »
Ah excellent thank you Redhawk i shall give this a go when i finish building some of my assets !

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
I feel like loading a new scene for every screen would add a lot of load times, and break the illusion of your character continuing his run from screen to screen.

If it were me, I would have the whole thing as one large level, with empty game objects in the position of where you want the camera for each screen. Have a trigger volume covering each individual screen, when the player enters the trigger it sets your cameras position to whatever given empty gameobject you positioned for that screen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:16:51 PM by Graham »
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
This would likely be just a matter of using a trigger enter event on both sides of the screen to change the camera position to the correct spot, if there are indeed a fixed bunch of screens and camera positions.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D