playMaker

Author Topic: New Playmaker Video Tutorial Series!  (Read 65365 times)

Xtopher

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
    • Well Played Games
Re: New Playmaker Video Tutorial Series!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 01:45:59 PM »
Hey, thank you so much!  I really appreciate that!

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
hey Xtopher, i posted in the unity forum, but not here... i got the tutorials the instant you made them available. Very good learning material... they've been a great help in understanding some simple but very important steps that previously gave me constant headaches!!
I hope you get enough incentive to do more chapters!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:10:38 AM by clandestine »

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 07:38:07 AM »
I just purchased Playmaker and I`m also a Unity noob(more or less) and I have to say that I was very happy the moment I found your tutorials. They are very well done and really easy to follow.
Do you consider suggestions from users like me for new tutorials?
Thank you so much for making these tutorials.

P.S.- As clandestine said in his post, I also hope you get enough incentive to do more chapters!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:08:56 AM by Mark_T »

Xtopher

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
    • Well Played Games
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
Yes!  Im very glad to hear suggestions from anyone for future vids.  What would you like to see?

brendang

• Junior Playmaker
    • Out to Play Interactive
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
would love to see, a video tut on basic IOS (ipad for example_ touch interactivity. Something as simple as being able to spin a cube in place with your finger, or a simple gesture event.

Playmaker makes sense, but the touch thing eludes me.  I'm the creative/designer type. and it would be great to get over this one hurdle and really dig into Playmaker.

thanks,
B.

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
Hey Xtopher, i' with brendang on this one, I'm interested in exploring the integration of PlayMaker with multitouch and motion controls on android devices.

On the other hand we could explore setting up and controlling a vehicle?
Wiring some gui elements to it (speed, time)?
Camera control maybe?

I'm proposing 'real' game scenarios, because its easier for me to understand the situations, and of course harder for you to create them... but it would be a better marketing/selling point for beginners or artists like myself :)

thanks

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 06:18:39 AM »
First of all, sorry for the late reply.
Initially I had the idea to suggest to make some very small tutorials, specific for every action, some sort of Playmaker video manual: how do you use this node, what can you do with it (small case illustrations), things to avoid, etc.
I know, this can be a huge amount of work, almost an impossible one, but maybe starting with the most important ( or more often used actions) may be a good start.
And later, can be continued in different tutorial series, each series adding on top of the previous ones to the Playmaker Video Manual Series.

If, from vary reasons, you think this is not a good idea, I`ll be really happy with a tower defense game tutorial.
If combined with touch events, being a mobile targeted game tutorial it will be even better.
I think I`ll be the first one to buy it. :)

Thanks again for your tutorials. they are really easy to follow and indeed very very helpful.
When do you think we`ll have the pleasure of a new tutorial series?

Xtopher

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
    • Well Played Games
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »
>Initially I had the idea to suggest to make some very small tutorials, specific for every action, some sort of
>Playmaker video manual: how do you use this node, what can you do with it (small case illustrations),

That's a pretty awesome idea!  I'd have to talk to Alex about the feasibility of that, but I think you are right that it would be super cool.

>When do you think we`ll have the pleasure of a new tutorial series?

I'm on schedule to finish capturing a new series today and tomorrow on Cameras.  I should be able to have that edited together and up within a week.  Then I'll begin recording an iOS series, probably followed by a UI series.  I'm a little spooky on the UI one since there are some looming big changes with Unity in the pipeline.

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »
>Initially I had the idea to suggest to make some very small tutorials, specific for every action, some sort of
>Playmaker video manual: how do you use this node, what can you do with it (small case illustrations),

That's a pretty awesome idea!  I'd have to talk to Alex about the feasibility of that, but I think you are right that it would be super cool.

>When do you think we`ll have the pleasure of a new tutorial series?

I'm on schedule to finish capturing a new series today and tomorrow on Cameras.  I should be able to have that edited together and up within a week.  Then I'll begin recording an iOS series, probably followed by a UI series.  I'm a little spooky on the UI one since there are some looming big changes with Unity in the pipeline.

Glad you like the idea. :)
It might be a pretty big task, considering the amount of actions, but I think it will be helpfull not only for Playmaker use, but for the general understanding of the real-time applications.

Hehe, thanks for the update. Great news! Looking forward for more learning. :)
The iOS series sounds interesting too. Maybe the differences between iPhone and IPad?
A personal opinion about the UI series: I`m waiting for the NGUi Playmaker version to be out (even though it might be out after the Unity 3.5 update). It`s a very powerful solution, even considering the Unity`s new UI tools (which according to my knowledge were postponed in the 3.5 update and about which I don`t know  anything :) ).

Another idea it might be a Playmaker - Mobile Game Mechanics series, in which with simple examples, you can approach different game types: tower defense, match3, chess, puzzle, etc. Or cover the Playmaker specifics for mobile game development: touch events, Finger Gestures, Pool Manager 2, etc.
Or maybe just Playmaker - Game Mechanics series, with more sophisticated game structures.

Thanks again for the update, and keep up the good work. :)

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »
Hey xtopher,
great surprise with this!
http://www.wellplayedgames.com/camera-control-and-motion/
Just bought them!!!
Thanks for your work!

Xtopher

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
    • Well Played Games
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
Thanks so much for your kind words and support!  You beat me to the announcement (which is great!).  Let me know how you like them.

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 05:53:17 AM »
You beat me to the announcement (which is great!).  Let me know how you like them.
Big fan of Playmaker and your work! Im on a trip now with my wife and son... could watch a little bit of 'perspective vs isometric' last night... at the hotel... on the tablet.. after they were asleep :D

Great work, very enjoyable!
thank you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:54:56 AM by clandestine »

OleP

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
I'm currently running through your first series of tutorials, and I think they're awesome! You start off quite slow, but I guess everyone should have a chance to get a hang of it, before you jump to more advanced techniques.

I was just wondering, if you are planning to do anything touch related? I'm currently in an internship with a small iphone/ipad studio, but I am struggeling a bit when it comes to touch input/controls. I think it is a very contemporary subject these days, and a lot of people would benefit from such series.

Keep up the good work!

Xtopher

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
    • Well Played Games
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Yes!  I'm starting production on a touch/iOS series next week.  Lots of people are asking for that one.

OleP

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
Yes!  I'm starting production on a touch/iOS series next week.  Lots of people are asking for that one.

AWESOME!!!

When is your estimated time of release for that series?

I've just made a drag system with playmaker, to drag and drop an object on a 2D plane. When I release the drag, I want the object to continue in the same angle, and with the same speed, as it got at the point of release.. Like if you toss a hockey puck across an ice surface..

My theory is to mesure the velocity in the drag state, and add it to the object when the drag ends.. But it does not seem to measure any velocity when I'm dragging (I'm using the "get velocity" action).. :(

If you could cover this in your tutorials in any way, I would be truly grateful!