playMaker

Author Topic: MegaFlow  (Read 5532 times)

nick_h82

• Playmaker Newbie
MegaFlow
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
Hi,

I've been chatting on the Unity forums regarding MegaFlow, and the author was kind enough to expose the applicable methods in the API for me. They're at the end of this page:

http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=5892

The initial request I'd made earlier was for a way to sample the velocity of the flow field of a specific source, at a point in worldspace, and return this as a vector3, along with a colour variable derived from the vector strength.

I haven't been able to make sense of writing actions for it, so would really appreciate some help.

Thanks very much,

Nick

nick_h82

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: MegaFlow
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
Just to show my attempt so far- I've tried with the invoke/call method actions, but have the shown error.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:26:03 AM »
Hi,

The West twins are true geniuses of our time!!! If you are into RC, they are behind VRC  simulator exceptionnal visuals! so they don't just make awesome Unity plugins!

I'll see if I have time to make an action for this this week, the method they implemented is using a "Ref" and so it's not a conventional method signature, something I'll mention to Alex, he may be able to expose this "ref" and "out" attributes.

Bye,

Jean

nick_h82

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:24:33 AM »
Thanks Jean, I'd really appreciate that.

I agree on the West plugins- one of the asset store creators that you know will produce excellent products every time.

I also left a request on the Unity forum thread to ask for a simple component that samples using the above methods and displays a public vector3 so I can simply run a get property action, but haven't heard back for a few days- slightly unsure what is and isn't possible.

Thanks again,

Nick

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:52:30 AM »
Hi,

Can you try the package attached, it has the action "MegaFlowgetGridVelWorld". tell me if it works ok for you.

Bye,

Jean
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:06:35 AM by jeanfabre »

nick_h82

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:51:59 AM »
Hi Jean,

Unfortunately I only get an empty action, i.e. it's visible in the action browser, but when added to a state there's nothing in it.

No errors in either the IDE console, or the Playmaker one. Have also tried reimporting the action itself to ensure it's compiled properly.

Cheers,

Nick

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:06:54 AM »
Hi,

Can you redownload again?

Bye,

Jean

nick_h82

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 03:41:30 AM »
Thanks for this!

That works perfectly, with one caveat. There appears to be an offset bug with the MegaFlow source, where the sampler picks up the source bounds unaligned to where I have them set in the component. I have a bool printing entry/exit, and I can sort of follow the perimeter by watching that. I have the MegaFlow source gameobject zeroed, and the offset applied in the component itself, so it should know where the worldspace bounds are. I'll do some debugging and report back if I find a solution.

Really appreciate the action, and look forward to using it.

Cheers,

Nick

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »
Hi,

I don't own MegaFlow, so I can't really help you as is unfortunatly.

I'll check with the author tho, maybe he'll know what to do.

Bye,

Jean

nick_h82

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 01:29:07 AM »
Hi Jean,

Just wanted to update you on my progress with this asset, and shed light on the situation in case the topic is searched for again.

Thanks again for the action, appreciate your help. As you were working without the asset itself, in the end I requested a 'Sample Field' component for Megaflow which simply reads the vector field at the parent game object's position, and prints a public vector3. Playmaker's Get Property action works ideally with it, and the Set Property action enables switching out the source or changing the framenum with ease.

http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=6103

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 01:37:21 AM »
Hi,

Excellent!

Bye,

Jean