playMaker

Poll

Is it ok to remove the old asset pack for Unity 4 from Asset Store?

- Yes - Will use updated Unity 5 version only
36 (87.8%)
- No - Keep the old Unity 4.3 version asset (not updated)
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Car Setup for PlayMaker [Asset]  (Read 126171 times)

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
Re: Car Setup for PlayMaker [Asset]
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »
24h SALE! ($10)

And it turns out price was locked before going to sale,
so it is 50% from $19.99 :D !

Link to Asset Store

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:24:43 AM by 600 »

gozda

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2015, 05:52:07 AM »
Can you make Motorbike setup for playmaker?

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »
Can you make Motorbike setup for playmaker?
Hi,
will check it out, I had some tests in Unity 4, but left it a side at that time and focused on the car setup. Could make it, not sure when yet :)

gozda

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »
I wait impatiently

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2015, 02:35:12 AM »
While you're here may i consult something with you?
As you've gained a lot of experience in vehicle physics i feel i can ask you:
- how do you think a can approach arcade racing physics and their drift mechanics?
By arcade i mean exactly the sega racers style of gameplay... i've asked this question at the Unity forums a couple of years back and basically got ridiculed.
Following are a few examples of what i mean:

Scud Race sega model 3

Daytona USA model 2

sega rally 1994 model 2

and the more recent examples

Outrun 2006

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

90s arcade racer is an indie game that manages (at least on the videos) to capture the gameplay i refer to.
Space Dust here the creators explain about making a kart racing style physics, i understand some of it.

So what do you think, can you give me any pointers or ideas?

Thanks

Edit: added some pictures for easier visualization... and i didn't notice that all the pics are from the same angle :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:30:34 AM by clandestine »

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
Hi,

Actually never tried to make one in arcade style physics.
Daytona memories… :D
Anyway I tried to achieve something like this with CarSetup pack, had some results, this is a few hour work and is far from polished.

Also gave it a try making a new setup with force and force torque like Space Dust, I get the basic setup and how it should react. The actual gas (push forward force) is relative to camera direction + force Self Z and force torque on Y axis Self, results where nice until in high speeds it got bumpy, had no suspension just a cube with 4 sphere colliders :)

The third version I believe is to cheat it all, a quick idea - object in size of road (width) that follows a track path. With player input control a car (inside the object) by translate or other move/rotate etc, also could use FloatSpring for shaking values.

If you want to try it out with CarSetup pack, PM me your email - will pack my test and send to you.

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Hi,

Actually never tried to make one in arcade style physics.
Daytona memories… :D
Anyway I tried to achieve something like this with CarSetup pack, had some results, this is a few hour work and is far from polished.
I love how this looks, great work. If we can only make the direction of the slide controllable... maybe using your other methods below

Also gave it a try making a new setup with force and force torque like Space Dust, I get the basic setup and how it should react. The actual gas (push forward force) is relative to camera direction + force Self Z and force torque on Y axis Self, results where nice until in high speeds it got bumpy, had no suspension just a cube with 4 sphere colliders :)
does it work? in space dust it looks like they solved the bumpiness issue with the raycast suspension (which i still dont understand)

The third version I believe is to cheat it all, a quick idea - object in size of road (width) that follows a track path. With player input control a car (inside the object) by translate or other move/rotate etc, also could use FloatSpring for shaking values.
i noticed that in some arcade racers in the straight parts of the track you cant drift and the steering is stiff, but once you enter a corner suddenly the steering angle is wider and the drifting is activated...

Cool work man!

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »
Hi, thanks!

does it work? in space dust it looks like they solved the bumpiness issue with the raycast suspension (which i still dont understand)

I have no experience with UE4, but I guess you could use wheel colliders as they are raycasts. Or if the game setup allows, use joints with physical wheel. These are just simple thoughts, but if it works :)
Yes the test was working, needs much more polishing to change values like steering and power at runtime based on grounded status, speed etc.

i noticed that in some arcade racers in the straight parts of the track you cant drift and the steering is stiff, but once you enter a corner suddenly the steering angle is wider and the drifting is activated...

Nice catch, did not notice that. This can be set as trigger zones on the track to change control values, actually the same thing could be applied for physical setups. I believe there will be more little tricks to achieve desired gameplay either it is physical setup or not.

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
Nice catch, did not notice that. This can be set as trigger zones on the track to change control values, actually the same thing could be applied for physical setups.
Exactly, the other night i noticed the same in Highway 2000 on the Saturn. Obviously this is an old budget Japanese title, but the control is solid... and as always we have to look for inspiration in the least expected places.

Highway 2000 Saturn YouTube

Thanks a lot for your time and work, really* appreciated!
(*-really really)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:45:48 PM by clandestine »

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2015, 05:37:41 AM »
Hey thanks, had fun experimenting with this :)

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
If you want to try it out with CarSetup pack, PM me your email - will pack my test and send to you.

I want to try it for sure! I'm still using U469 though, would it work? I have the Car Setup.

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2015, 07:35:19 AM »
I want to try it for sure! I'm still using U469 though, would it work? I have the Car Setup.

I did the test with Unity 5 pack  :-\
With U46 there will be slightly different values as there are no Transmission and wheel colliders are different in their behaviour.
I can send you screenshots of my current setup to compare concepts or do you have Unity 5 too, to test it?

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
well i can always install 5, on the other hand the screens (if you have time to do them) would maybe stir my brain and i could contribute some ideas, hopefully :P

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »
well i can always install 5, on the other hand the screens (if you have time to do them) would maybe stir my brain and i could contribute some ideas, hopefully :P
Pm sent  ;)

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Super cool, thanks!! I'll check it out later.