playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker Game Jam  (Read 31480 times)

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
Re: Playmaker Game Jam
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 04:54:58 AM »
This is great idea!
Most likely I will not have time to participate, but surely support the idea and good to see this happening!

My 2 cents:
For the name I would vote for “Playmaker Game Jam 2018”.
And for the rules I think it should be 100% Playmaker, to create new systems/prototypes or custom actions during process. That would feel as true Playmaker jam to showcase that depending on game 90% to 100% can be made with it.

PixelSteel

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 05:41:32 AM »
Hi,
i agree that we want to make it educational.

As a judge, personally i would want to see the fsm/states/actions setup as a part of the judging and to see if playmaker is used enough  ( i would set playmaker usage minimum a lot higher than 50% as it is a 'playmaker' jam :) )

You can submit without playmaker.dll and it should be fine then for playmaker
i can make a video if needed to explain what you should not add.

Limiting the usage of playmaker in a playmaker jam is pretty ironic, I'd have to disagree with this rule.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
Hi, there is no limit to the amount of playmaker used. The discussion is how much must be used to join this playmaker game jam.

I am personally against 100% playmaker. While I love the system, there are cases when c# I feel is more appropriate. Not everything needs to be a FSM in programming.

In the event that we do say it has to be 100% playmaker, that does rule out using any third party code completely. So that is something to consider as well.

Ultimately my goal here is for this to be fun for us as a community, push our creative skills and improve. So enough rules to make it fair,  but not too many that it sucks out all the fun  8)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
On another note, we have our first prize sponsor!!  ;D

Alex from Ez Entertainment will give out 1 copy of:
https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/24770

Ez Ads
Ez Bind
Ez Data Manager
Ez Pooly

for the winner.

All of course have playmaker support (except Ez Bind, but it is a codeless solution so it doesnt need PM). I am personally a big fan of Ez Pooly and use it myself!

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
Good point, yeah probably 100% Playmaker rule could be too limiting. And actually using PM + code can demonstrate the workflow how to combine them and use on assets etc.

I could give some keys for prizes from my assets too.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »

Limiting the usage of playmaker in a playmaker jam is pretty ironic, I'd have to disagree with this rule.
[/quote]

I think you misunderstood what i said.
i mean it should be more than 50% Playmaker.
So more Playmaker is good, less than that i would not accept as it is a 'Playmaker' Jam.

100% Playmaker i would also disagree.

@Jean i would go for the left one also :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:41 AM »
On another note, we have our first prize sponsor!!  ;D

Alex from Ez Entertainment will give out 1 copy of:
https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/24770

Ez Ads
Ez Bind
Ez Data Manager
Ez Pooly

for the winner.

All of course have playmaker support (except Ez Bind, but it is a codeless solution so it doesnt need PM). I am personally a big fan of Ez Pooly and use it myself!

Excellent!

Bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:42 AM »
Hi, there is no limit to the amount of playmaker used. The discussion is how much must be used to join this playmaker game jam.

I am personally against 100% playmaker. While I love the system, there are cases when c# I feel is more appropriate. Not everything needs to be a FSM in programming.

In the event that we do say it has to be 100% playmaker, that does rule out using any third party code completely. So that is something to consider as well.

Ultimately my goal here is for this to be fun for us as a community, push our creative skills and improve. So enough rules to make it fair,  but not too many that it sucks out all the fun  8)

Hi,

you are right. The most powerful usage of PlayMaker is when it's combined with regular c#

However we could have a category 100% playmaker, I think custom actions and component proxy do fit in the 100% category, so using everything from the wiki or ecosystem and similar is fine. But if you create a component to control something without playmaker being involved in the process, then you are no in that category anymore. I think using assets from the asset store also do not count, it's fine to use what's available, it's if you start coding in c# instead of PlayMaker that you don't fit in the 100% category.

What do you think? Could be a special prize for this.

Bye,

Jean

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
Sounds good to me.

I didnt want to completely limit asset store usage, because I think 3d/2d models and sounds from third party may be important in a game jam that is only 3 days long, and I expect many solo teams. I think it would be hard for many of us here to record sounds and build 3d/2d models/art, materials, etc in that short of time (instead of focusing on our FSMs).

Certainly, each entry much submit which third party assets/work was used, and this will be taken into account in the judging. IMHO, it wont be held against you, but it also wont be judged for extra points either.  8)

bazzajunior

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Molber Games
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 06:36:25 AM »
As a small prize to the winner, would it be worth asking developers to see if they'd be happy to offer a free copy of their PlayMaker-based published games? I'd be happy to provide a redeemable Google Play Store code for mine. Just an idea :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 06:45:48 AM »
Hi,

yes, I think the best option would be that every one who wants to sponsor this game jam comes forward, and the winners will end up with a bunch of games and assets, this would be a very participative way to grant participants and winners with a feeling of community.

what do you think? If that's an idea that you like, we could have a google sheet or some kind of online document where we list all the prizes, all the categories and rules?

Bye,

Jean

bazzajunior

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Molber Games
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »
Would it be cheeky to ask Unity if they'd be able to offer some support/advertising/prizes too? They have published videos from their official YouTube account with PlayMaker tutorials so would be in their interest to raise awareness of the event ;)

mrminico

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
Hi Count me in! when will it start?!

skipadu

• Playmaker Newbie
  • Learning continuously
    • serialkamikaze.itch.io
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 03:20:06 AM »
I'm interested of the game jam. I'm hoping that I'm available when it is arranged.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 06:22:36 AM »
Hi, the rules should be hopefully finalized in the next few days, as well as the date. Currently we are looking at March 23, 24, 25, which is friday, saturday, sunday.