playMaker

Author Topic: DOTween this is a must feature, see stats below  (Read 17706 times)

kici

• Junior Playmaker
    • KZ Development
DOTween this is a must feature, see stats below
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:55:54 PM »
Alright,

This is a no-brainer, I get it iTween has been great for a very long time now but it's been outdated and there is another wonder out there killing it right now, however currently in alpha nevertheless it is changing, improving and getting ready light speed fast.
Already compatible with 4.5 and 5 (unity...), also we cannot really disregard these stats, please see image attached and I really hope most of you get inspired and going on this already. If I knew what to do believe me I would, but as much as I need this I know many others need it too.

Much appreciated guys looking forward to it thanks !

this is information is from their website:

http://dotween.demigiant.com/

and more stats: http://blog.codestage.ru/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:59:53 PM by kici »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: DOTween this is a must feature, see stats below
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
Hi,

This guy is amazing! hotween was already very good, but he managed to get more!

I would wait until the api is finalized, as he mentionned this will likely change before the release.

Bye,

Jean

kici

• Junior Playmaker
    • KZ Development
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
Wonderful glad you approve!

I will certainly notify you unless you find out before me that it's ready to go.

airleeeeee

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:37:54 AM »
I hope this version out for fast playmaker .

FritsLyn

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 06:44:24 AM »
DOTween (HOTween v2) IS OUT!

It's Ready for PlayMaker :)

Bump!!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:01:21 AM »
Hi,

Great. Created a trello task. Please up vote.

https://trello.com/c/ieSygpiI/111-dotween

You should also contact the author and express your will to use it within PlayMaker, maybe he will be interested in supporting playmaker.

Bye,

Jean

FritsLyn

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »
You should also contact the author and express your will to use it within PlayMaker, maybe he will be interested in supporting playmaker.

Will do - but please help make this easier. Here, and why not in general.

Writing to some developer, saying 'please, will you support PlayMaker' (someone who might never consider what this is, not being into visual scripting himself) - trying to explain what, how etc without being part of Playmaker team and not being able to answer questions / give details etc.. may not be that efficient.

So, may I suggest that you (Jean or PlayMaker team) make a general page:

You are a developer of a Unity Asset, and you consider to support PlayMaker functionalities?

Benefits: xxx
How to get started: xxx
Further documentation: xxx
How to stay updated: xxx

- and if this page already exists, link me to it, so I can send it to the DOTween developer (and others).

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 02:33:06 AM »
Hi,

I think that by now, there isn't a single asset store publisher that is not aware of PlayMaker and what it is. But most may not own or use it, and so I think you raise a very good point here.

I think also, like the trello initiative to keep track of user interest and progress on that front, that it's not so much a question of what PlayMaker is, but instead how many requests there are to justify investing time and effort to support it ( it goes both ways).

The lack of documentation for supporting PlayMaker is an issue. I think that in the medium terms, a deep refactoring of the PlayMaker sources should be done to document everything and use c# automatic documenting to provide at least an exhaustive and detailed api doc.

Typically, comes another factor, especially critical for free assets, is that starting supporting third parties, like dotween author starting investing time to support playmaker is a big investment, with no returns in essence, so that is difficult to justify, until the sheer number of requests brings necessity in some ways.

so make yourself heard, we are in talk with many many third parties, trying to move on that front together, sometimes we take on support, sometime they do, but what's important is to create a channel of communication and keep it alive, so make yourself heard no matter what to both parties, it's always beneficial, no matter how much work still need to be carried out to improve on many areas, including documentation.

Bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:12 AM »
Typically, comes another factor, especially critical for free assets, is that starting supporting third parties, like dotween author starting investing time to support playmaker is a big investment, with no returns in essence, so that is difficult to justify, until the sheer number of requests brings necessity in some ways.

In addition to this also remember that when the asset codebase changes then the Actions often also have to be changed. Some actions have a stable life span of only a month or so before the asset makes breaking changes and need to be refactored. For instance the A* Pathfinding Project was well covered by Kiriri and stable a while back, but now is totally inoperative despite some really great work on his part, the A* asset developer simply decided to change things in a new version... You can see that support from this side of things can end up being something that you shoot yourself in the foot over and it would be much better if each asset developer would handle this instead of the other way around. All assets aren't this way though, for instance the iTween actions are also fairly old and still totally stable, an example of a well designed system.

On the other hand consider the basic vanilla Playmaker actions that ship with it, most of them havent changed in like 3 - 5 years and still work fine... A big contrast when evaluating maintenance.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

FritsLyn

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 12:29:47 PM »
Jean and Lane; I hear you both.

What I think you do not see so clear is the world from the outside.

I can tell you for sure that many have not even heard of PlayMaker, and many more have heard of it but are semi-rejecting it for being a non-effective-point'n-drag tool - without knowing any better.

Many programmers take great pride in coding and thinks that there is a value in it itself.

On the other hand is you guys and your great product.

Now, we need to make these 2 worlds meet - we all agree on that.

And I think we also agree that it can only be good if more people take contact to asset store developers, and ask them to do PlayMaker support - and that they are the ones who should do it.

And this is what we need to make easy to happen!

So what I'm asking, is a focus on things that will make us, the inhomogeneous and semi random group of PlayMaker users into a more efficient PR-machine to make this happen.

I am not sure that I know excactly all the benefits, how-to-get-started and other things that a new-to-PlayMaker developer will need to know.

I do not know if there's a straight path to get a 'developers free license' to PlayMaker - and who to contact.

But I DO know that we are a LOT of users, and NOT all of us have this knowledge to share to the asset-store developers.

So what I'm saying is that if there was a common place where this information would be shared, then it could both aspire some developers to take the right steps all by themselves, and certainly it would mean that all us fans of PlayMaker would be EMPOWERED to take the right actions:

We could then send a link to 'How to get started with PlayMaker support as an Asset store developer'.

And THAT would move mountains :)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
I think you make some good points there. Basically you're suggesting a condensed page to share with developers to motivate and clarify for them why and how to support playmaker actions for their assets.

There's value in that.. I'll take a look at the wiki and see what I can put together along these lines to make the process more approachable.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

FritsLyn

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
Awesome!!

(And how did you make my point in 3 lines?) :D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »
Hi,

Totally agree too. I never meant to try and diminish the need for this, but putting a PR in place means costs, and so typically, I was suggesting alternatives.

The task is huge to create a document that will satisfy the bear minimum of what a asset store publisher will expect to find here, and so we have to be VERY careful not provide half of something to only find then complains and frustration.

Bye,

Jean

FritsLyn

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »
Hmm.. I think that 3-5 headlines with 2-5 points below each - and links to either forums and or contact persons should be enough to do the trick..

Because I think that 'the trick' is to have 'something' which is a better alternative to 'nothing'.

I would really love to start the job, and all I ask is an official page that I can link to, that would empower me and lift me from being 'just another random guy asking for more features' to 'someone who helps to get a larger audience for your asset'.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 08:35:42 AM »
Hi,

Absolutly! I have send an email to Alex, you are cc'd, you'll become a wiki member so you can create that page and put there what you envision, and then we can collaborate to improve/add where necessary and maintain the page over time.

Bye,

Jean