playMaker

Author Topic: ArrayMaker is now available [April 2021]  (Read 176875 times)

pixlweaver

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: ArrayMaker is now available
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:18 PM »
This link right? https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715

I do indeed have the latest from that link. Version 0.9

poofdragon

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:02 AM »
I did run into one problem so far, however. I am using the Array List Copy To action to attempt a simple copy one ArrayList to another. But action doesn't seem to work. No errors - just an empty destination array list.

Is there a trick to using this action?

I had the exact same issue. Also, I noticed that when I used the "Count" variable, the "copied" values were added to the end of the target Array which grew in length every time the Array was copied.

I ended up altering the code in ArrayListCopyTo.cs:

Code: [Select]
//proxy.arrayList.Add(source[i]);
proxy._arrayList[i] = source[i];

Note: It seems to require setting the Count regardless of it saying otherwise in the tooltips.

pixlweaver

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
I had the exact same issue. Also, I noticed that when I used the "Count" variable, the "copied" values were added to the end of the target Array which grew in length every time the Array was copied.

I ended up altering the code in ArrayListCopyTo.cs:

Code: [Select]
//proxy.arrayList.Add(source[i]);
proxy._arrayList[i] = source[i];

Note: It seems to require setting the Count regardless of it saying otherwise in the tooltips.

Ahh! Sure enough setting the count does the trick (didn't have to alter the CopyTo code for it to work). Thanks Poofdragon!  :D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am so glad you are able to sort it out yourself. Bear with me, I am barely seeing the light at the moment :) I will get back to normal availabilities in few days.

bye,

Jean

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
Jean,

I am working on an option for my conveyor belt system.. I was going to try tracking the position of the parts along the 'belt' And would like to use an array to do it. So i thought i would try ArrayMaker

Each conveyor is a start and end object and i want to create an array based on the distance between then divided by my part size. Then each part will be assigned an array location when it enters the conveyor and just watch the part in front of it for a collision. I have a true collision system working now but am worried about performance with hundreds of parts.. and i loose accuracy as well using the basic collision method.

So my question is what sample is going to point me in the right direction? I have looked at a few and am not quite sure how to proceed? Or maybe it does not suit?

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2013, 01:54:07 AM »
Hi,

I had to solve a very similar problem with my excavator tracks, each track pads are controlled very much like how you want to do it, but I don't really recommend doing it with arrayMaker really..

-- is your belt a straight line?
-- can you have missing boxes on the belt?

can boxes be interacted physically by pother elements ( other than siblings) ?

bye,

Jean

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
Funny i had an idea in the shower right after i wrote that message... i realized that each object just had to watch the object in front of it... so i just send a reference of the previous object to each arriving object. It can watch the distance between them..

That is the basic idea anyway..

It is a sliding track not fixed locations so there can be any distances between objects.. but they can back up at the end temporarily etc.

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 02:37:47 AM »
Hi EVeryone,

huge update of ArrayMaker today!! I am finally getting on top of all the things I need to do re playmaker :) so I could finally do that necessary facelift to ArrayMaker actions to make them easy to use, short and generally less scary to look at :)

the latest addition to playmaker is the ability to let the user select a type of fsm variable and then select that variable. It was before not possible, and therefore I had to provide all possible solutions, which would make the actions interface really ugly, not conveninient, confusing, frustrating, prone to error, etc etc etc...

now, it's so much easier!!

!!!!WARNING: NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS VERSIONS!!!!

most actions have chanbges their interface, and therefore will oose their set up if you import the latest package into an exisiting project. You simply need to go over each of your arrayMaker actions and re set them to what you want to set, add, get or delete. The engine itself remains the same, so you can upgrade, but you need to back up before just to make sure you can come back to it and study how it was set up for example.

You can download it at the usual wiki page:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715

Enjoy,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Re: ArrayMaker is now available [NEW VERSION]
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:58 AM »
Hi,

I updated the package with a new sample, RTS selection, it's been requested many time, so I rolled a working sample, where you can drag a rectangle on screen and it will pick up LIVE objects that responds to this rts selection system. It also outputs the set of selected object into an array.

pretty cool, especially since I managed to make the visual rectangle all in unity, using GUI, so no third party required here :) I will make a vectrosity based version of this in few days, but this is something else.

bye,

Jean

Lobohotpants

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
I updated today and it was pretty painless.  I only had to re-input my variables and types but other than that I had no errors.  Awesome job Jean. 8)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback :)

bye,

Jean

rojosedano

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »
Hi Jean, I have a variation in the sample selection rts but need adjustments to work properly. My intention is to add selections to the array.
If you see a better way ...
thank you for your excellent work

attached scene: rts pruebas

Rojosedano

Fail257

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
hello,

want you please add Dictionary support?
its  much faster than Hashtables and  it would match and make Arraymaker more complete.
just my 5 cent

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 02:08:26 AM »
Hi,

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/301371/why-is-dictionary-preferred-over-hashtable

How would you see Dictionnaries implemented, and how that could improve the perfs in our situation? It's been a struggle when I started, cause I did ask myself this question, and I went for hashtables, I guess I can support dictionnaries too, but I need hard evidences that indeed it will perform a lot better.

The main use for ArrayMaker is really about discrete access to information, not processing a huge list of items during the gameLoop, in that case, yes, I would actually myself look for a more appropriate solution. Having said that, Playmaker would also be out of the question in terms of pur fsm implementation, and I would delegate this sensitive task to a custom action.

The main thing to keep in mind in our Unity environment is that, most likely arrayMaker will never be the bottle neck to performances. Physics, character animation, shaders, network lag, Mesh processing will come first in 99% of the projects. I am running highly sensitive simulation systems using this very same ArrayMaker version, and when I profile, it's completly unnoticeable, peanuts...

If you have a use case scenario where dictionnary would perform better, I would be really glad to test it and provide a more performant alternative for sure, and would actually be a good thing to provide as a sample with ArrayMaker to demonstrate when to use Dictionnary over hashtables.

Bye,

Jean

tam

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
Wow. This tool is great.
Thank you very much for making this, and making it free too!